Visiting Research Fellowships
Visiting Research Fellowships
Harwood Visiting Research Fellowships
The AIER Fellowship Experience
Discussions and feedback
Get feedback from other scholars. You will have the opportunity present your work to AIER’s research scholars and other fellows and to participate in the intellectual life of the institute.
Resources for research
You will have access to AIER’s library, which enjoys full borrowing privileges through Inter-Library Loan, and IT support. You will also be eligible to submit research tasks to the intern pool. Interns accept research tasks on a voluntary basis.
An environment for focus and recreation
Our unique campus in the Berkshires affords both a peaceful environment to work in and opportunities for relaxation. You will stay in our world-class accommodations, while AIER takes care of airport and rail transfers and weekday lunches.
AIER Fellowships create opportunities to meaningfully extend fellows’ scholarship and reach. Explore some of our opportunities below:
- The Daily Economy
- Fellows have contributed hundreds of articles to the Daily Economy, the institute’s blog.
- Fusion Magazine
- Fusion seeks to continue discussion with leading thinkers writing short- and medium-form essays in a fusionist idiom on a wide range of contemporary topics. Visiting fellows are encouraged to send in submissions via www.fusionaier.org.
- AIER Press
- Fellows have published book manuscripts with AIER on a wide variety of topics in the social sciences and humanities.
- Research Conferences
- Fellows have often been invited to participate in AIER’s research conferences, many leading to special issue or edited volume publication.
- Speaking Engagements
- Short-term fellows receive neither funding for their stay nor travel assistance, though they do receive accommodation and many meals at no charge during their stay.
- Long-term fellows receive a $350 per week stipend as well as generous travel assistance. Like short-term fellows, they also receive accommodation and many meals at no charge.
- AIER welcomes international applicants to all programs. Please be aware of our limited capacity to sponsor entry or work authorization.
- AIER’s fellowships are intended for full-time professional researchers at all stages of their career. Academics, journalists, and think-tank researchers are all welcome to apply. Advanced doctoral students are considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Undergraduate and early-stage MA students should apply to our internship program. Doctoral and advanced MA students should apply to our Graduate Fellowship program.
- AIER reviews short-term research fellowships on a rolling basis with a minimum of six (6) weeks of advance notice before the proposed fellowship start date. We strive to provide application feedback within three (3) weeks of an application.
- The application process typically consists of a formal written application with a research proposal through AIER’s application portal and a single interview with the Fellowship Director.
- Long-term (Harwood) fellowship applications are reviewed quarterly. The deadline for fall fellowships is April 1, for winter fellowships July 1, for spring fellowships September 1, and for summer fellowships January 15.